Friday, November 18, 2011

To All the Non-Believers...

I feel strongly that works of fine art should receive more subsidization from the government in order to lower ticket prices and allow a larger base of people to attend. However, not everyone shares this view. In fact, some believe that the fine arts may receive too much funding.


With the establishment of the NEA (National Endowment of the Arts), the government has been allotting funding for arts establishments all over the nation. The NEA’s government appropriation in 2000 was $100 million. Many people ask themselves why their tax dollars go towards funding such things. They feel as though the money could and should be going towards other national issues, such as digging us out of this economic hole we have dug ourselves into. Let’s be honest, $100 million is no amount to shake a stick at. New York City alone has been graced with serious amounts of money thanks to the NEA. In fact, “The Metropolitan Opera in New York City has been the single largest recipient of NEA funds, with annual grants between $800,000 and $900,000” (Rice). That’s almost one million dollars going towards one institution. I think it is pretty clear as to why many people look at this government funding with dropped jaws and sheer disbelief. Frankly, I find it hard to blame them. Looking at large organizations such as the “Philadelphia Orchestra and Pittsburgh Symphony, which received $290,000 and $280,000, respectively” (Rice), one wonders why they need such large amounts of money. Shouldn’t they be able to fund themselves?     
         
The true answer is that large fine arts organizations need the federal appropriation from the NEA. Without it the productions would not have the potential to be such complex works of art that truly give us that “WOW” experience. It is a fact that without this funding, one of two things would happen. The productions would either have to cut back on the quality of work or raise the ticket pricing through the roof. We already look at ticket prices to shows in such places as the Metropolitan Opera in New York City and get sharp pains in our savings accounts. I strongly feel that a larger amount of government appropriation would allow the shows to retain the quality of work that we have come to expect while allowing a larger range of patronage, thus boosting the appreciation of the arts throughout the nation.



"The Arts Will Thrive Without the National Endowment for the Arts" by William Craig Rice.Free Speech. Scott Barbour, Ed. Current Controversies Series. Greenhaven Press, 2000. Excerpted from William Craig Rice, "I Hear America Singing: The Arts Will Flower Without the NEA," Policy Review, March/April 1997. Reprinted with permission of Policy Review, a publication of The Heritage Foundation.




Word Count: 398 (Without citation)

3 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting topic and you make some very good points

    Your topic sentence was good and let me know what I was going to be reading and learning about

    Your sentences flowed and you used good transition from point to point

    Great support a lot of good facts used to back up your point

    Overall I like the way you well organized and supported your points and opinion, and you have a very interesting topic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Topic sentence: Strong topic sentence that clearly tells readers about your main points.
    Support:Your support is really good too, and I like the way that you used all those numbers.
    Transitions: This is the part that I think you should work on ! (Usually not using transitions makes the post boring). Your post is NOT boring at all, but if you add some, that would help (I think).
    Quote (in "quote sandwich" format with proper MLA citation): Your quotes are in the "Quote Sandwich" format, good job !
    Grammar and spelling: No problem here.
    Strong argument: As i said, it's a strong and convincing post that made me feel I want to read more !
    Compliment: Interesting topic/Working on transition signals

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Suggestion: Work on transitions

    ReplyDelete