Tuesday, November 15, 2011

So What's The Big Deal Anyway?

I’m sure we’ve all been to a rock concert at least once in our lives, or maybe even a show in a theater on Broadway. But these events don’t happen without a serious amount of talented and able artists and designers. I could write you a three page list of all the different people it takes to produce an amazing show, both artistically and logistically.

The sad truth of the matter is that the numbers of people entering this artistically abstract field is dwindling. I can’t help but believe this is due to the decreasing patronage of the arts. Very few people wake up in the morning and think to themselves, “I think I’m going to go watch Phantom of the Opera on Broadway this weekend”. Under closer examination, I believe it’s safe to conclude that this is due to ticket pricing. Every time I want to go see any type of musical or concert, I receive an almighty pain in the wallet. The prices of tickets nowadays are through the metaphysical roof. With the economy in the can, only the rich can afford the luxury of frequenting such diverse spectacles of art and, many times, political satire.

With productions of the fine arts being unavailable to the majority, many within the younger generations will go forth in ignorance to not only their benefits, but to the sheer joy that they are capable of bringing. The studies are in and the numbers have been crunched. Fine art benefits people of all genders, races, and ages and this has become more than just a hypothesis. So my question is this: why doesn’t the government subsidize the funding for larger shows to make them more accessible to all? Sure, we can throw money at the NEA and assume they will teach children about arts. But the fact is that art remains a personal expression of emotion and creativity. We cannot teach how to create art because it comes from within. All we can do with education is hand our youth the necessary tools to aspire to something greater than has been done thus far. This is why I say the government should subsidize productions and works that can grasp the creative spark cradled within and use it to ignite the passion necessary to rise to greatness.

2 comments:

  1. Topic sentence: Need a clearer topic sentence. I got your point but maybe rewrite it so it is very clear what you want to happen.
    Support: The statement about only the rich being able to afford going to shows regularly is very true. Good support.
    Transitions: Good transitions everything flows smoothly.
    Quote (in "quote sandwich" format with proper MLA citation): Need a quote to help strengthen your support.
    Grammar and spelling: Checks out fine.
    Strong argument: Good argument. I feel the same way about this article. Even though I am not very interested in the "arts".
    One compliment: Layout of the blog is excellent.
    One suggestion: Add a quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a good topic sentence, but I wasn't completely sure what you would be arguing until the next sentence.
    Your support as to why people do not participate in the arts is kind of limited to ticket pricing. Talk about some of the other reasons that more people are drifting away from the arts.
    You don't have a quote, but you don't seem to need one in this post.
    There were no grammar errors that I could find.
    You have a clear argument, I would add a little more support.
    I really like your topic, I love Broadway plays. And I don't really have any suggestions. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete